Mold Biotoxin Illness/CIRS

Mold Biotoxin Illness, or otherwise known as Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS), is a condition related to contamination of indoor air, food, water, or insect bites. Mold is all around us, inside and out. Fungus is part of our microflora on our skin and in our digestive system. These can be beneficial and non-beneficial. Over-growth of mold in a building is not in a natural state as it is in the outdoor environment.  This accumulation of mold happens with moisture and the love of feeding off substances like drywall. As the mold is accumulating, toxins accumulate in the home attaching to dust particles being inhaled into the body. 

When a person ingests biotoxins it can cause inflammation in the body with several symptoms, many which are very similar to Lyme disease. Biotoxins are mold, fungi, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), and other gram-negative bacteria. Most people will experience some level of illness when exposed to a sufficient level of biotoxins, however, many people recover once they’re removed from a contaminated environment. Those with certain genetic pathways will require more assistance to remove toxins from the body.  Unfortunately, many people are not aware of mold issues in their home or workplace. Mold growth can occur behind walls, under sinks, behind furniture, in the attic, and virtually anywhere there has been water damage or moisture.

We treat both mold biotoxins and tick-borne disease concurrently with many patients because more times than not there are parallels in the infections that are both present making it very difficult for a patient to recover from chronic illness. Dr. Julia Greenspan and Dr. Miriam Mendelsohn do on-going training specific to mold biotoxin illness to continue to stay current on an evolving science. 


Bioaccumulation.  The problem is not the mold, but the bodies inability to get rid of toxins in an appropriate time frame. As the toxins accumulate, they then activate the immune system.  There are those with the ability to tag toxins as “bad” and clear them from the body in a time frame which leave many feeling no symptoms at all.

Signs and Symptoms of Biotoxin Illness

  • Fatigue
  • Memory impairment
  • Weakness
  • Headaches
  • Chronic sinus congestion
  • Cough, shortness of breath, chest pain
  • Digestive distress
  • Muscle pain and joint pain
  • Muscle cramps
  • Light sensitivity
  • Dizziness/Vertigo
  • Skin sensitive to touch
  • Mood swings
  • Constant thirst, dehydration with adequate water intake, excessive urination
  • Metallic taste in the mouth

Solutions to Biotoxin Illness


(below are common tests run, but each patient is assessed and tested based on individual symptoms):

  • Mycotoxin testing with urinalysis
  • Serum testing to check inflammation markers, genetic pathways (HLA DR DQ), hormone levels, food intolerance, other allergy testing, other co-contributing infections,
  • Sinus swabs to identify chronic sinus infections with bacteria and fungus

Eliminate the source of the toxin

Testing one’s house for mold is the top priority. We can treat the body with detoxification protocols but if the source is not eliminated it will continue to be an ongoing issue. We understand that change in home or work environment is not always a quick fix while trying to maintain stability in life.  It’s an evolving process trying to mitigate mold toxicity especially when it may not be under your control to make those changes. It can take time to find a solution. In the meantime, undergoing treatment can make the situation more comfortable.  Once the mold is properly remediated or another work/home location is found the healing becomes much easier. The easiest first step is a good air filtration system and access to a sauna. Detoxification is going to be the most important part of the process.


Treatment is a combination of nutritional counseling, detoxification support, natural anti-inflammatory support, anti-infectives for co-infections with mold, respiratory support, hormone support, chelating heavy metals if needed, balancing the nervous system (supporting healthy stress response) and digestive support.

Treatment is individualized depending on the toxin isolated and the symptoms being experienced. Treatment can go as slow or quick depending on the ability of the patient to tolerate the process. Our goal is to be efficient but also sensitive to the fact that individuals are under a lot of stress while the body detoxifies.

Our Hours

Monday 8AM - 4PM
Tuesday 8AM - 4PM
Wednesday 8AM - 4PM
Thursday 8AM - 4PM
Friday by appointment only
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed